Friday, February 29, 2008

Moving Out

No, I'm not moving out of the Cavern, just my neighborhood. I'm disinclined to trust my ongoing access to D'ni to the whims of the Nexus and the KI Lattice system given how flaky they can be. The neighborhoods are far enough removed from Ae'Gura that getting back there without linking is going to be a royal pain. I need a Linking Book...

Getting my hands on one will obviously be the tricky part. Once I've got a link back to a safe, open section of D'ni (like Ferry Terminal), putting it somewhere secure - like Relto - will be completely trivial. I think my best bet is to abscond with a Book from the Book Machine vendor in the Nexus while I still have guaranteed access to it. Failing that, I know the DRC has a stash of D'ni Books laying around somewhere, but their offices are no longer in the Tokotah Building, Kirel has been converted for use by the Guild Recruiters, and I don't have access to their private 'hood; never did, to be honest. Yes, I'm well aware that finding a working Linking Book back to D'ni in D'ni is going to be quite difficult, and I'm pretty sure the DRC have swept the rest of the Ages clean of any unapproved links back into the Cavern. I may have to pull some strings for this, or spend a great deal of time in Gahreesen with a pick-axe.

Back to the subject of moving out, though. Most of my gear and such has been relocated to Relto for the time being. I probably won't make it a point to live there - the roof still leaks despite my best efforts and the noise keeps me up at night - but it's the safest place I can think of for keeping my stuff until I can find a good place in the Cavern to set up camp. I don't want to keep it anywhere that people might be able to steal it (not that I think they would intentionally commit a theft, but the explorers seems to be more inclined than most to "borrow" things, thinking they're important), which means Ae'Gura is out, and I don't want to keep them anywhere accessible only by the Nexus, which means everywhere else I can get to in D'ni is out. Maybe I need a boat more than a Linking Book... the trouble is, once again, where to find one.

It may be a while before I have a chance to write again. I need to do some digging (perhaps literally; wish I still had my hardhat), and a whole lot of exploring.

No comments: