Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Jackpot

I think I just got extremely lucky.

While I was out exploring one of the other walter-level courtyards in the harbor area, I stumbled across a decidedly modern-looking tent. Inside were piles of DRC documents, notebooks, papers, and more importantly, Linking Books. Some had DRC stamps on them, but most didn't. I suspect the DRC was running a small salvage operation out of this base while working in the City, and when they later refocused their efforts on Ae'Gura and the neighborhoods, this tent was abandoned – possibly even forgotten entirely.

I have no intention of using any of the Linking Books just yet, though the DRC-stamped ones may be useful in the near future. The documents and research notebooks I found, however, are a treasure trove of information. A lot of it is maps of the various areas in the harbor region, but there's more here that pertains to D'ni history, architecture, etc.

Perhaps the best of the Linking Books is the one with a sticky-note on it labeled "Nexus Control Access". I suspect that Laxman used this Book and others like it to link into the control center for the Nexus and maintain the Lattice. If that's the case, then it's highly likely that if the Lattice fails, I might eventually be able to restore it (with considerable help, obviously... this isn't Stargate, where completely alien technology is controlled by code written in C – or better yet, JavaScript).

There is also a Book labeled in D'ni as Er'tsuda (eh|r|'|ts|uh|d|ah). Given the "Er" prefix, I suspect it's either a granary Age or some Age similar to Er'cana, which was used to feed nutrients to the lake algae. It may be worth investigating at some point, because Er'cana's output is absurdly low, and I think we're going to need a much higher-capacity system to get the lake back into shape again someday. If it's a granary Age, then at least I won't starve (hooray!) once my food supply runs out.

One last note: I've gotten word via a KI message that there's going to be a big gathering tomorrow as a sort of send-off... it would appear that a lot of explorers have either already left, or will be leaving tomorrow. I plan on attending, but for now will keep news of my current explorations to myself.

No comments: