Friday, April 11, 2008

The Long Goodbye

God it's late... or early, depending on how you want to look at it. Since I haven't gone to bed yet, I choose to call it late.

The party went off largely without a hitch. I'm led to understand that there was a near-record number of people in the Cavern, which is nice – if a bit frustrating, given how hard everyone at the DRC has worked to attract attention to this place to no avail, and now that they're leaving, everyone piles in for one last "my parents are in Atlantic City"-style party. Not to say I don't appreciate it, I'm just kind of annoyed that it took something like this to bring people to the Cavern in such droves.

Still, it was a blast. People I hadn't seen in months were there, and many of my former co-workers were as well. We had about 5 or 6 current and former ResEngs in the Beginner's Bevin by the time the party ended, and all told, it was a pretty awesome time. The party ended around 10:00 Cavern Time, and a lot of folks left pretty quickly after that. After Beginner's Bevin cleared out, I went to the old DRC cafeteria with GreyDragon, Cowart, and BennyD for some reminiscing. We had fun, though we talked surprisingly little about the Cavern. I think I'm the only one of the crew that's sticking around after tonight, judging by the odd looks I got from GD and Cowart when I told them what I was up to.

We finally all left about half an hour ago, and it was at that point that the problems started; fortunately, I was prepared for it.

First, I realized that my KI was no longer reporting my location or my coordinates, and my message lists were all blank. There were also messages in my chat section from the Lattice system indicating a power and data failure. It seems the KI network is completely down now, which means all of the registration terminals and access points will be out as well. Had I not thought ahead, I would very likely have been up poop creek without a paddle. Fortunately, I raided the Nexus last night and absconded with a Linking Book back to the City harbor before linking back to a location closer to the tavern. When I realized after leaving the cafeteria that the Lattice was down (everyone else had linked away using their Relto Books, probably to head back to the Cleft), I linked back to the Nexus, pulled the Book back to the harbor out of my knapsack, and linked away without needing to worry about accessing the Nexus terminal. I've only just returned to the tavern after treking back from the waterfront.

I seem to be very much on my own now. Even if I wanted someone to talk to, I wouldn't be able to find them using the KI at this point. I can't use the Nexus because I'll be trapped there, and because of the massive nature of the place, I can't count on linking back to the same access station where I was forced to leave the harbor Book behind.

Oh well. I suspected something like this would happen eventually, so it doesn't really set me back all that much. I've been keeping notes of my explorations on good old notebook paper, and think I've found one of the DRC's old generators that I can use to recharge my laptop from time to time so that I can keep posting. I have a new priority tomorrow, though: finding something to eat that won't kill me. My supplies are a couple of weeks from running out, but after that, I'd rather not have to keep spending what little money I have left at Wal-Mart for food.

No comments: